Commercial tourism in Antarctica began in 1957 but only became a serious activity in 1969. Since then the industry has grown considerably both in numbers and diversity. Whilst most tourists still visit on ship – borne cruises, some now take over flights from Australia or South America, other fly n to a blue ice airfield and climb mountains or ski to the South Pole. Most tourists visit the Antarctic Peninsula and offshore islands to see the scenery, the wildlife and some of the historical sites of the early explorers. A small but increasing minority are now looking for other activities-sky diving, climbing, surfing, diving, ski walking – which may pose difficult safety issues in the future.
Where is Antarctica?
Antarctica is the Earth’s most southern continent. It is found in the southern hemisphere. As you can see on the map on the right, Antarctica is located at the very south on the earth’s map. Antarctica is also known as the South Pole.
Why is Antarctica unique?
Antarctica is such a unique continent because there is nowhere else in the world with such a cold (-80C), windy (100kph) winter. In addition, there is a time of year where the sun does
Not shine for about 4 months. In addition, Antarctica is unique because
It is full of ice, and being there will be very peaceful and cold.
Moreover, the day is 6months long and the night is obviously
6 months long too. Antarctica is the one place where the penguins
can be found. Penguins cannot be found in the arctic region because it is colder. And also, Antarctica
Is a place where the rarest species of animals can be found.
Why are tourists attracted to Antarctica?
Tourists are attracted to Antarctica because it is very hard to get to by ordinary means of travel. You cannot just ‘buy’ a plane ticket to go to Antarctica, so tourists are attracted to it. Moreover, there is nothing else in the world like it (except the North Pole), which makes tourists even more attracted to it. Antarctica is also unusual because it is full of ice. In addition, the Scenery is different and tourists will take photos to make memories of Antarctica, which is an unusual continent.
What do people do in Antarctica?
Small boat landing, Ships Cruises, Kayaking, Scuba diving and Station visits
Problems for Antarctica in the Future
The future of Antarctica is in our hands. Everything we do to the continent is having an impact to it immensely. Antarctica is the most astonishing place in the world. Tourists are affecting the continent so much that we just hope that the future generations will be able to see it the way we see it today. It needs to stay sustainable and the first way to do this is by stopping tourism completely.
The amount of tourism each year
The amount of ship borne tourists and tourist ships has overall increased throughout the years. This is a very negative issue. Roughly, they both have increased by 25,000! This is a large increase and is very dangerous to the life of Antarctica. As shown in the graph, the affects of tourism is going to be very dramatic due to the large number of ships going there. The amount of tourists that want to visit Antarctica is very large and is still increasing. In the future, they will have to find a way to preserve the continent in order to save it for the future. The development is also becoming better very rapidly, so it will be easier to come up with a plan to allow tourists yet still keep Antarctica in good conditions.
These tourists are completely violating the continent and eventually there will not be one for us to enjoy. It is up to us to preserve it as long as it can be. If you want this elite continent on our planet then you need to think before you do something.
What makes people go there?
* The relentless cold weather; in winter the temperature ranges from 40 – 70 degrees Celsius whilst in summer it ranges from minus 15 – minus 35 degrees Celsius
* The scenery is impressively beautiful which you cannot experience by looking at photos. It can only be appreciated with live vision. It is truly breath taking and cannot be viewed anywhere else in the world.
Why do tour operators want to take people to Antarctica?
* As mentioned Antarctica is unique, so maybe tour operators want to show unusual parts of the world and Antarctica is unusual.
* Antarctica is an expensive place to visit, so some tour operators might be in it for a large profit.
* Antarctica has beautiful and unusual wildlife as well as magnificent glaciers, so maybe tour operators want to educate people about Antarctica.
* Tourists are generally well informed and concerned about the Antarctic’s environment and usually become very good advocates for the protection of Antarctica when they return home.
Antarctica is the most exclusive continent in the world, so why is it being destroyed? There are many questions being asked about whether or not tourism should be allowed in Antarctica.
Why Ban Tourists?
Tourists have a massive impact to Antarctica whether they notice it or not. Something needs to be done otherwise it will be vanished forever.
Global warming is increasing – Due to all the human activities taking place, the worlds’ temperatures are increasing. This is causing ice caps to melt which is causing the sea levels to rise worldwide. See how severe it is becoming! By reducing the amount of tourists visiting Antarctica, the carbon emissions released when travelling to the continent will be reduced (boats, planes, etc). The area it is having the biggest impact on is in the polar bear regions!
Pollution is escalating – The water is becoming filthy due to all the emissions being released from the tour ships sailing through the Antarctic waters. Sometimes the ships accidentally have oil spills which, really poisons the water. This is very dangerous for the animals that drink this. The big cruise ships are the main concern. An average one carries more than 3000 people in one go! A slightly smaller one than that would carry 1200 people!
The environment is being damaged – Too many tourists are having a terrible impact to the land. The ice is being broken up into pieces due to all the big ships breaking their way through it. The broken ice makes it easier to melt.
Tourists are a threat to the wild life – Most of them animals living there are use to being in an isolated environment. Being around them could not only scare them but will pass on germs. This will really harm their health, as they are not use to humans.
Food Cycle is being harmed – Food chains are being damaged severely
The Antarctic Food Web.
Why should we be allowed to go?
* Tourists believe that they should be allowed to visit Antarctica.
* Up until now, the impact humans have had on the area has been very little because of the cold weather. This issue has stopped many people to travel to the continent.
* Antarctica is an unbelievable holiday destination as well as scientific purposes. The extreme weather conditions are a different experience and would appeal to a large number of people. These people should be allowed to go there.
* Since 1991, there has not been much disturbance in Antarctica, which proves that the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators must be doing their jobs right as the conditions on the continent are steady.
* New Codes like the ‘Antarctic Code’ are being introduced that aim to reduce the probability of accidents like oil spills and animals being debilitated from the escalating numbers of ships that are sailing around Antarctica.
* The money produced through the tourist industry in Antarctica could be invested into additional research of the continent and understanding it.
My opinion is that tourism in Antarctica should be banned because Global warming is increasing and Tourists are a threat to the wild life also the environment is being damaged and pollution is escalating and food chains are being harmed.