Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) A freight car moves along a frictionless level railroad track at constant speed. The car is open on l)top. A large load of coal is suddenly dumped into the car. What happens to the velocity of the car It remains the same. It increases. It decreases. Cannot be determined from the information given
2) Tightrope walkers walk with a long flexible rod in order to 2) A) lower their center of mass.
B) move faster along the rope.
C) allow both hands to hold onto something.
D) increase their total weight.
3) Which of the following is a false statement 3) The center of mass of an object must lie within the object. The center of gravity of an object may be thought of as the balance point. For a uniform symmetric object, the center of mass is at the center of symmetry. For an object on the surface of the Earth, the center of gravity and the center of mass are the same point. ) In a game of pool, the white cue ball hits the 9 ball and is deflected at a 35 angle to the original )line of motion. What is the angle of deflection below the original line of motion for the 9 ball A) 90 B)75 C)35 D) 555) In a game of pool, the white cue ball hits the 5 ball and stops, while the 5 ball moves away with 5)the same velocity as the cue ball had originally. The type of collision is elastic. Completely inelastic. Inelastic. Any of the above, depending on the mass of the balls.
6) Two cars collide head-on on a level friction-free road.
The collision was completely inelastic and 6)both cars quickly came to rest during the collision. What is true about the velocity of this strengthener of mass A) It was never zero. B) It was not zero, but ended up zero. C) It was always zero. D) none of the above
7) Two objects collide and stick together. Kinetic energy 7) is definitely conserved. Is definitely not conserved. Is conserved only if the environment is frictionless. Is conserved only if the collision is elastic. 1 8)A small object collides with a large object and sticks.
Which object experiences the larger 8)magnitude of momentum change the large object the small object Both objects experience the same magnitude of momentum change. Cannot be determined from the information given
9) When a light beach ball rolling with a speed of 6. 0 m Is collides with a heavy exercise ball at rest,
9)the beach balls speed after the collision will be, approximately,
A) 3. 0 m/s.
C) 12 m/s.
D) 6. 0 m/s.
10) A very heavy object moving with speed v collides head-on with a very light object at rest. The 10)collision is elastic, and there is no friction. The heavy object barely slows down.
What is the speed of the light object after the collision A) nearly infinite B) early iv C) nearly v D) nearly iv 11) In an inelastic collision, if the momentum is conserved, then which of the following statements is 11)true about kinetic energy A) Kinetic energy is gained. B) Kinetic energy is also conserved. C) Kinetic energy is lost. D) none of the above 12) Avery light object moving with speed v collides head-on with a very heavy object at rest, in a 12)frictionless environment. The collision is almost perfectly elastic. The speed of the heavy object after the collision is A) equal to v.
B) slightly greater than v. C) much less than v. D) slightly less than v. 3) A Ping-Pong ball moving east at a speed of 4 m/s, collides with a stationary bowling ball. The 13)Ping-Pong ball bounces back to the west, and the bowling ball impulse during the collision Neither both experienced the same magnitude impulse. The bowling ball the Ping-Pong ball Its impossible to tell since the velocities after the collision are unknown. 14) In an elastic collision, if the momentum is conserved, then which of the following statements is true 14)about kinetic energy A) Kinetic energy is lost.
B) Kinetic energy is gained. C) Kinetic energy is also conserved. D) none of the above 15) When is kinetic energy conserved 15) in all collisions in elastic collisions in any collision in which the objects do not stick together in inelastic collisions 2 16) Two objects collide and bounce off each other. Linear momentum 16) is conserved only if the environment is frictionless. Is definitely conserved. Is definitely not conserved. Is conserved only if the collision is elastic. 17) A child falls sideways off a sled while sledding on frictionless ice. What happens to the velocity of 17)the sled It decreases.
It increases. It remains the same. Anton be determined from the information given 18) A small car meshes with a large truck in a head-on collision. Which of the following statements 18)concerning the magnitude of the average collision force is correct The truck experiences the greater average force. The small car and the truck experience the same average force. The small car experiences the greater average force. It is impossible to tell since the masses and velocities are not given. 19) The area under the curve on a Force versus time (F vs.. T) graph represents 19) A) kinetic energy. B) momentum.